Sunday, March 18, 2012

1990 in 2012

Ever since I started playing Sengoku Basara 3 during hibernation, I've made it a habit to play the game on weekends, hoping that maybe I'd be able to complete the game by the end of the year (tough luck...).

But I was suddenly hit by an urge to play something on the DS yesterday, either Dragon Quest VI or Final Fantasy III. I went with FF III, and have been playing it all weekend.

This really brings back so much memories! The music! I still have the original Famicom cartridge and the guidebooks (same for DQ IV), too!

The graphic is completely redone in 3D, which is a stark contrast from the original 1990 game. The generic 8-bit sprites are now cute and distinct characters with their own background and respective job outfits.

The story, four chosen warriors of Light saving the world from overpowering darkness, is pretty simple, but the game play of FF III is one of the best in the Final Fantasy series IMO.

My current party consists of 2 red mages (Luneth and Refia), 1 white mage (Arc), and a warrior (Ingus). Except for the white mage who is bare handed, everyone else sports two weapons instead of the standard weapon and shield combo. It's pretty satisfying to see each character doing 6-8 hits per round with their increased job levels. XD

While I was very tempted to get a black mage famed for its very cute look, I decided against it for practicality's sake. Just got the fire crystal jobs, so I'll probably change Ingus to a knight. I'll change Arc into a scholar when it's time to enter the floating castle.

Oh, look! Guren has finished charging! I can now go back to save the world. XD

On a side note, I just dug out the FF III Famicom cartridge to reminisce the old memory and noticed the DQ VI cartridge beside it. It's also from 1990. Such a wonderful year to be blessed with two excellent RPG titles! The Super Nintendo was also released near the end of 1990!

0 comments: